Thursday, June 30, 2011

Chocolate Cherry Cookies

I have decided that after a year of writing the Cupcake Spotlight, to change things up a bit.  I will still post delicious recipes for the tiny cake treats, but I would like to feature cookies for the next chapter of my blog. 

I am debuting Cookie Corner!! I will feature a special cookie each month.  The cookies will vary in degree of difficulty, and once again I hope to coordinate them with the seasons.  I will post the recipe on the Cookie Corner tab of My Little Blogspot.  Also, unlike Cupcake Spotlight, I will post the recipe on the Recipes at a Glance page.  This way, you can build your cookie arsenal and have an easy way to look back at recipes for the holidays.

The first Cookie Corner is in honor of a fellow blogger.  Her blog was a huge inspiration for me to start my own blog.  The Gourmand Mom produces a stellar blog with fresh ideas and true gourmet dishes.  Among these recipes, she posted a recipe for Vanilla Cherry Drops.  I made it at the holidays and they were delicious.  When I was making them, I thought I should try them sometime with a chocolate dough.  Chocolate and cherries are  a classic combination, and now they can be enjoyed in this cookie.

The only real difference between the original recipe and the chocolate version, is a substitution of cocoa powder for a portion of the flour.  I also refrigerate the dough before forming the cookies to help to cookie hold it's shape and to keep from spreading too much.

recipe

3 sticks Butter, softened
1 cup Sugar
1 Egg
2 teaspoons Vanilla
3 cups Flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
4 dozen Marashino Cherries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add egg and vanilla.  Slowly add flour and cocoa powder.  Refrigerate dough for about 10 minutes.  Using a small cookie scoop, portion out cookies into balls, approximately 1 inch in diameter.  Press a cherry into the middle of each cookie.  Bake on a parchment lined cookie sheet for 15 to 17 minutes.  The cookie dough will no longer have a sheen when they are done.  Allow to cool on the pan for a couple of minutes, then move to a cooling rack. Store in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment