Sunday, July 17, 2011

Tracy's Strawberry Pie

Several years ago, my sister-in-law Tracy made a strawberry pie that I fell in love with.  She told me it was very simple, which is what I need.  Although I can bake a mean cupcake or a fabulous cookie, pies still elude me.  My pies come out with only 50% accuracy.

Well, this pie is easy and Lisa proof.  It starts with a ready made pie crust that you just thaw and bake.  Then if you can measure ingredients and slice strawberries you can make this pie. 

So when I was home in Buffalo a couple of weeks ago, I asked Tracy if she was making the pie anytime soon.  I've wanted to post this recipe since I started the blog, but I needed pictures.  Of course I could just make the pie and take my own photos, but then I would most likely consume the whole pie myself.  That would not be good for my waistline!

Tracy was not making the pie soon, so I immediately started thinking of an excuse to make it myself.  Enter in dinner with friends this evening.  We are grilling simple burgers and hot dogs, so I figured this would be a light refreshing ending to dinner.  I made the pie yesterday, took pictures for the blog, and of course sampled one piece. (I had to make sure it still tasted as I remembered ;o)

ingredients

ready made 9 inch frozen pie crust
4 C. strawberries
1/2 C. plus 2 T. sugar
3 T. cornstarch
1/2 C. cold water
1 T. butter
dash of salt
1 T. lemon juice

Thaw and bake pie crust according to package instructions.  Allow to cool completely.  Sort through berries, reserving about a dozen nice looking berries. 

Hull and slice the remaining berries and crush slightly. 


In a small bowl, dissolve cornstarch with the water.  Add cornstarch mixture with crushed berries and sugar in a medium stock pot.  Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and becomes clear.

waiting to thicken
Add butter, salt, and lemon juice.  Stir until completely combined.  Allow to cool completely.


Slice the remaining strawberries in half.  Line the cooled crust with berries.  Pour cooled filling over strawberries and crust. 



Refrigerate and serve with whipped cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment