Monday, May 2, 2011

Vegan Chocolate Cupcake

I received the Martha Stewart Cupcake cookbook for my birthday.  I started thumbing through and saw about a dozen recipes I wanted to try.  One recipe in particular caught my eye, vegan chocolate cupcake. 

I have to admit I have some preconceived notions regarding a vegan diet.  It is very strict as far as not consuming any animal products at all.  As for baking, not to have eggs, milk, yogurt, sour cream, seemed a little strange.  However, I put my reservations aside and gave it a try.  The recipe only makes a dozen cupcakes and I figured if they were awful, it wasn't much of an investment.

I was so pleasantly surprised.  The cupcakes are moist and chocolaty.  In fact, it will be my go to recipe for chocolate cake.  The ultimate test was my husbands reaction.  He loved them and couldn't believe it when I told him they were vegan.  Go ahead and give it a try, they really are yummy.

recipe (Divvies Bakery found in Martha Stewart's Cupcakes)

1 1/2 c. cake flour
3/4 c. granulated sugar
1/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder, plus more for dusting
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 c. plus 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 tbsp. white distilled vinegar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/4 c. water
confectioner's sugar, for dusting

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners.  In a large bowl ift together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt and set aside.  In another bowl (preferably one with a pour spout) mix water, oil, vinegar, vanilla until well combined.  Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet and mix until smooth.  Divide batter evenly among the cups about 3/4 full.  (Batter will be very thin, pouring from a bowl with a spout makes this easier.)  Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.  Allow to cool on a wire rack.  Dust with powder sugar and cocoa before serving.

Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze for up to a month.

linking to these parties

No comments:

Post a Comment