Recipe for cake like cookies.
Here are a few tips:
- If you are in a rush and can't make your own frosting, go ahead and cheat with store bought frosting. I feel if part of the dessert is homemade (like the cookie) you can get by with a canned frosting.
- Make sure to use a generous amount of frosting. The one thing that is so delicious about these cookies is the thick layer of frosting.
- If you are freezing the cookies, go ahead and flash freeze them on the cookie sheet before stacking them in a container. Use parchment paper in between layers to prevent sticking upon thawing.
- If making them for a crowd use a small circle cutter (about 2 inches). The smaller size is easier to eat at a picnic and allows people to try several flavors.
- Want to change up the flavor combination? Try adding 1 tsp of lemon extract or almond extract to the dough instead of vanilla.