Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Simple Hash Browns

Depending on where you live, hash browns could mean different things.  Some areas refer to hash browns as shredded potatoes and fried on a flat-top.  Some places describe them as a cubed potato sauteed in a skillet. Growing up in my house, cubed potatoes fried in butter with salt and pepper were hash browns.

ingredients

1 to 2 lbs. diced potatoes
1 tsp. canola oil
1 tbsp. butter
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. season salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper


I decided to take my mom's very simple hash brown recipe and give it a few twists.  First, I par-cooked them in the a microwave steamer to cut down on the time skillet time.  I simply diced about of pound of clean potatoes, put them in my steamer with 1/2 c. water and cooked on high for about six minutes, until fork tender.



Next drain them and lay out on paper towels.  This will remove an excess moisture.  In a large skillet, preheat canola oil with butter, until melted.  Add potatoes, salts, and pepper.  Turn in pan to coat evenly.  Allow to cook over medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes, until golden brown.  Stirring occasionally.



Serve as a side dish to any dinner.  Also leftovers are great for omelettes or hash the next day.  Last night we had them with my sloppy joe's recipe.


No comments:

Post a Comment