Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Wholesome Wednesday (Sloppy Joes)

Wholesome Wednesday kind of snuck up on me this week.  Busy with the kids in school and company coming on Friday, I was trying to decide what to post. I have a great Brussels sprout recipe, but I think with the weather getting cooler, a nice hot sandwich is good for today. 

Growing up my mom made sloppy joes quite often. It was a meal she could stretch and was also satisfying. My mom always made them from scratch, we never even new what Manwich was. In fact, I never had Manwich until I was an adult. While there is nothing wrong with that, homemade sloppy joes are just as easy and quick. What I love about making them myself, is I can control the quality of ingredients, and sodium level. I use ground sirloin which is 90% fat free and a lot of spices. Also serve the sandwich on a whole grain bun with steamed green beans as a side dish and you have a wholesome, satisfying dinner.

recipe

2 lbs ground beef (look for 90% fat free)
1 small onion, diced
1 large can of tomato sauce (26 oz can)
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
3/4 c water
1 tsp garlic
1 tsp chili powder
salt & pepper to taste

Brown beef in a large skillet with onion. Drain off any fat and discard.  Add remaining ingredients, stir, and simmer on low for about an hour.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment