Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Some Things Just Aren't Meant To Be Healthy (Mac'n Cheese)

Today is supposed to be Wholesome Wednesday.  I had every intention to make a low-fat version of macaroni and cheese.  I experimented last week with several recipes, and I came to a conclusion.  Macaroni and cheese is not meant to be low-fat or healthy.  The texture just wasn't there, not be mention the lack of flavor. 

So today I made the full fat version and I am a happy camper.  I actually made two versions, Buffalo Chicken Wing Macaroni and Cheese and Four Cheese Macaroni and Cheese.  Today I will share the Four Cheese one.

The recipe is quite simple.  I made this one on the stove top and it can be ready in under 30 minutes.  It's great served with salad of mixed greens with a light vinaigrette.  Enjoy!


recipe

1/2 pound pasta of choice (I used corkscrews)
2 c. whole milk
6 oz. Gruyere, shredded
6 oz. sharp cheddar, shredded
4 oz. Monterrey jack, shredded
1/4 c. Parmesan, grated or shredded
3 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. flour
1/4 tsp. pepper
pinch of salt

Cook pasta in salted boiling water until tender, drain and set aside.  In a large sauce pot, melt the butter and whisk in the flour.  Cook for about a minute until golden brown, then add milk.  Whisk until it just comes to a boil and starts to thicken.  Remove from heat and slowly add the cheese.  Stir until creamy.  Add the drained pasta to the cheese sauce and stir until evenly coated. (If desired, under the broiler melt a handful of cheddar cheese to form a crust.)

use good cheese, and shred it yourself

use a fun pasta shape


gooey cheesy goodness

No comments:

Post a Comment