Sunday, February 3, 2013

Needs vs. Wants

I know I've been lacking on the posts lately.  As everyone knows, we are in the middle of a move.  Our movers are coming soon to take our belongings on to Buffalo, where either they will go to storage or our new house.  It all depends on closing dates....ugh waiting for closing dates.

So, for the past month or so I have been packing up our house in Oneonta.  Thanks to my dad for providing an abundance of storage bins from his old employer, the packing is going pretty easy.  I have had to purchase some boxes, but I am becoming very strategic on how to pack those.  According to Jay, the new "storage expert", I am following the correct guidelines for packing.  Oh well, I digress.

Okay, so packing over the past month or so has been very enlightening.  I have had to put a few things to the side for the apartment.  I classify these items as my needs.  I am amazed as to how little I actually "need" to manage on a daily basis.  Don't get me wrong, I really love all my kitchen items, and decorative pieces.  For the most part, I can survive really well on a few items. 

The boys have adjusted too.  We packed most of their toys and they are being stored at my parents house since the holidays.  I thought they would complain about not having all their stuff, but to my surprise, not one complaint.  They are being more creative with what I have let them keep behind, which all fits into a medium tote.

I am already thinking on how I can keep this simplified life strategy in the new house.  I have decided to sell and/or donate a lot of things.  For example, I have decorative art pieces that I have gathered over the years from home décor stores.  None of which have any significant value, so those pieces are going to the rummage sale.  I intend on hanging the boys' art work and meaningful photographs in the new house. 

So the whole purpose of today's post??  Evaluate your actual needs versus wants.  Put items you haven't used in a while in a box.  Store it away for a few months.  If you don't use it while it's packed away, think about donating it or having a garage sale.  This will help de-clutter your house, life, and mind :)

No comments:

Post a Comment