Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Spicy Turkey Chili with Bread Bowls

Fall is in the air.  It's only a few days away, but I am already in gear for warm comfort foods.  I love love love comfort foods like mac n' cheese, chicken pot pie, soups, and stews.  What I don't love is all the calories associated with it.

I am taking a chili recipe, changing up the beef for turkey and kicking up the spice level a bit.  I will be eating sans bread bowl, but I will treat Jay to this little delight :)

turkey chili recipe

1 lb. lean ground turkey
1/2 c. chopped onion
2 1/2 c. tomato sauce, I used leftover pizza sauce
1- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
2 tbsp. chopped jarred jalapeno peppers
1/2 tsp. grill seasoning
1 tsp. kosher salt
2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. ancho chili pepper
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1 can kidney beans, optional

In a skillet, brown turkey and onions.  Add to slow cooker.  Add remaining ingredients, and cook for 8 hours on low.  I made this the day before I want to serve it, so all the flavors can marry together.  Also freezes well for up to 3 months.

I will post the bread bowl recipe tomorrow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment