Friday, September 14, 2012

It's Been A While

Hello all my fellow blog readers!!!  It's been a long while since I had a post.  This was not entirely my fault.  My life was side tracked for a bit with some family emergencies back home.  Now I am back in Oneonta, the kids are in school, and we're all back in the swing of things.

First, yes the boys are in school.  This includes our youngest, Brandon, who started kindergarten last week.  The first two days were great, then the realization of a long day set in.  We shed a lot of tears this week, but I think we are on an upswing.  Fingers crossed ;)

I am also back on track with my work out routine.  This makes me so happy.  I have more patience, I am sleeping better, and making smarter food choices.  Yay for me, and Jay, he's on this journey with me.

Oh, did I forget to mention we took a weekend trip to New York City with Jay's parents??  It was full of excitement and adventure.  The adventure part being threatening tornadoes.  It all worked out in the end, although I think his parents may need a vacation from our "vacation".  We did a lot of walking and climbing through subway terminals.

So how about a new recipe?? I mentioned about a family emergency.  My dad wasn't behaving himself and as Jay puts it, "He has a potpourri of things wrong".  The one major change he needs to do is, be on a low fat, low sodium diet.   While I was visiting them, I helped to make a few healthy dinners.

Healthy diet and my dad do not co-exist in harmony.  He is a real meat and potatoes guy, with a ton of salt added in.  So, one night we had heart healthy steaks (certified my the American Heart Association) and low fat twice baked potatoes.  The potato recipe is what I will share with you today.

recipe

4 medium to large baking potatoes
1/3 c. low fat plain yogurt
1 scallion, chopped fine
2 slices low sodium low fat bacon, cooked and crumbled
1/2 tsp. Mrs. Dash herb blend, no sodium version
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 c. reduced fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
2 tbsp. Parmesan cheese

Scrub and wash the potatoes.  Pat dry and prick with a fork.  Lay on a baking sheet sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.  Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.  A knife inserted into the potato, should go in with ease.  Remove from the oven and allow to cool a bit, so you can safely handle the potato.

Slice the potato in half lengthwise.  With a spoon, carefully remove the potato, being careful not to tear the skin.  Set aside the skins and put the "meat" of the potato in a large bowl with all the remaining ingredients; combine.



Evenly scoop the mixture back into the skins.  Bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown.


No comments:

Post a Comment