Saturday, April 21, 2012

Cupcake Fun!

The last few days have been filled with play dates, great conversations, and lots of laughs.  While I was at a friends house yesterday, we got on the subject of cooking/baking with kids.  My friend asked for a favor, a play date at my house where we bake something with the kids.  I responded with an enthusiastic, ABSOLUTELY!!!

My friend admits she doesn't cook or bake very often, but would love to let her child experience the fun, creativity, and learning experience.  So today, I was watching our sweet neighbor for a bit, and decided to do a test run. 

My participants were a 6 year old and two 4 year olds.  We made chocolate vegan cupcakes with chocolate glaze.  The kids each had a job in the kitchen with the making of the batter.  Brandon was in charge of putting the cupcake liners in the pan, Adam was in charge of the wet ingredients, and my neighbor was in charge of the dry ingredients.  I poured the batter into the pan, and was in charge of the baking and cooling.

Then I made a quick chocolate glaze and set up the decorating stations.  I simply gave each child a cookie sheet, a bowl of glaze, some cupcakes, and different sprinkles.  I put the sprinkles in extra cupcake liners (this made for easy clean up).  Then they dipped and decorated.



It's a great way to use up holiday sprinkles too.  After the cupcakes were dry from the glaze, everyone got to enjoy one for a snack, and the rest went home.  It was a fun rainy day activity, and the kids really love being creative.

No comments:

Post a Comment