Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Yes, I am That Mom!

Summer is upon us, and I am so happy to have my kiddos home with me.  I am that mom who loves summer vacation as much as the kids.  Every September I get depressed when it's time for them to return to school. 

While I enjoy summer time with the kids, and I want them to have fun (and they will), I don't want all their hard work during the year to go out the window.  My kids read all summer and will be doing activity sheets.  I received a little note home from the teachers regarding books called Summer Bridge Activities.  I went to Barnes & Noble, looked them over, and decided it was just the right amount of busy work.  (psst.... I ordered mine from Amazon because it was less expensive)

The books are broken up into simple daily worksheets.  Each worksheet has a sampling of Math and Language Arts.  They came in the mail today, and they are a hit!  The boys loved it.  Brandon even remarked that his teacher would be proud of him for exercising his brain.

I told Adam and Brandon this will be incorporated into their morning chores. Yes, I said morning chores.  During the summer their morning chores are as follows:

  1. Make their beds and tidy their rooms
  2. Brush their teeth after cleaning up breakfast dishes
  3. Practice their respective instruments
  4. Daily worksheet
These things must be accomplished before I hear the words, "Can we go outside to play?"  This way I am not raising my voice in the evening when everyone is tired.

Now, just so no one thinks I am a mean mother whose children have to do school work all summer with no fun, here are a few fun things the boys have to look forward to:

  • Darien Lake (hopefully for July 4th)
  • Summer trip to the Outer Banks, NC
  • Baseball game in Toronto
  • Food Truck night
  • Taste of Buffalo
  • Swimming in various family and friends pools

We plan on enjoying our summer, as I hope you do as well.  So, if you are interested in a little bit of busy work to keep their minds sharp, I do encourage you to check out these books. I don't receive any kind of compensation.  This is just my opinion from one parent to another on a good buy for summer time.

No comments:

Post a Comment