Saturday, January 21, 2012

Jay's Baked Eggs

I was upstairs this morning watching television, when Jay came up to ask if my little glass dishes can go into the oven?  I paused for a moment, and asked why?  He said he was going to cook something.  My heart skipped a few beats.  Jay doesn't cook....well not really.  His specialities are grilled cheese, eggs, and cereal.  He can grill, but as for the making the rest of the meal, it just doesn't happen.

I showed him which dishes are oven safe (good thing I did because he was looking at my glass dessert cups), and I left the kitchen.  I honestly didn't want to know what was going on.  A bit later, he emerged with an egg dish.  It looked good.  I didn't want to hurt his feelings, so I said I would try it.  He worked so hard, and was waiting for approval. 

I tasted the baked eggs, and it was really good.  I mean really really good!  Joking around, I mentioned I could feature it on the blog.  He immediately starting making another one so I could get pictures :)

He made a few adjustments, and the second batch was even better.  He adjusted the cook time and oven temperature.  Also the second egg, he served over toast.  Super delicious!

So what was the inspiration for his dish.  Growing up his mom made "hole in the middle".  Jay has since made this egg dish quite frequently.  This is a bit easier than standing over a griddle making a fried egg.  You can put the dishes in the oven, set the timer, and walk away.  It is also healthier, because you aren't cooking the eggs in butter.

I also thought this would be nice for serving company.  By making them in ramekins, you can cook everyone's egg to the desired temperature.  If your guests like them firmer, just leave it in the oven longer.  (If you don't have ramekins you can do them in a muffin pan.)

Finally the last reason I really liked the method is the kids can help.  When using a fry pan, I am more concerned in letting the kids help. This way, one kid can crack the eggs while the other one adds the seasonings and cheese. Mom or Dad can be in control of the oven, and everyone is happy :)


Here's what you need:

ramekins that are oven safe (ours are about 4 inches)
eggs
salt and pepper
grated cheddar cheese
cooking spray

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Spray the ramekins lightly with cooking spray.




Then crack one egg into a ramekin. 


Add salt and pepper, a sprinkle of cheddar cheese.




Bake for 16 to 17 minutes for a medium well egg.  If you like your egg looser, bake for 14 to 15 minutes, or firmer bake for 18 to 20 minutes.  Remove from oven and allow to set up for 2 minutes.




Run a sharp knife along the outside of the ramekin, and slide the egg onto a piece of toast.

No comments:

Post a Comment